Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassy in your home country.

Current U.S. Student

If you are a U.S. citizen currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, please visit our Fulbright U.S. Student Program site.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.

U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through

Non-U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award in the United States you need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.

FLTA Policies & Procedures

The FLTAs must comply with federal J visa regulations and FLTA Program policies and reporting requirements. This section outlines only those policies and requirements which affect you and your work with the FLTA. This is not an exhaustive list of policies and procedures.

  1. FLTAs must engage in teaching responsibilities (including preparation) for no more than 20 hours per week. They must teach the language for which they received the grant. Violating visa regulations around working hours will put the FLTA’s J-1 visa status and FLTA Program at risk.

  2. The FLTA must enroll in a full-time course of study during the academic year. This means at least two courses per semester (or one per quarter or trimester). The courses must last the full academic term and must be in-person.

  3. Courses must be academic in nature and must relate to the FLTA’s professional development as a language teacher. FLTAs must also take at least one American Studies course during the academic year. FLTAs may not take courses that are elective in nature, unrelated to their professional development, or do not allow them to engage with U.S. students. Examples of unacceptable courses include, but are not limited to, physical education, studio art, performance, online courses, and practicum courses.

  4. The FLTA must submit an Initial Report Form and Mid-Term Report Form no later than five days before your institution’s respective Course Add Deadlines. These forms certify that the FLTA is enrolled in the required number of courses and is not engaged in more than 20 hours of TA duties per week.

  5. The FLTA must maintain satisfactory academic progress. In general, this is defined as a GPA of 3.0 or higher, though your institution’s requirements may be different. If you learn that your FLTA may be struggling academically, notify the appropriate IIE advisor and connect them with academic assistance.

  6. The FLTA must receive your written approval before traveling domestically or abroad.