Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassy in your home country.

Current U.S. Student

If you are a U.S. citizen currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, please visit our Fulbright U.S. Student Program site.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.

U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through

Non-U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award in the United States you need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.

FLTA - Thinking of Applying


Requirements & Eligibility

In the upcoming academic year, more than 400 FLTAs will live, study and teach at American colleges and universities across the United States. IIE invites institutions to join hundreds of other colleges and universities across the U.S. which are enjoying the enriching, rewarding and beneficial experience of hosting an FLTA. 

There are two basic requirements to becoming a host institution for a Fulbright FLTA:

  • In order to host a Fulbright FLTA, institutions must provide tuition and fee waivers covering all costs related to the two courses per semester that FLTAs must take. FLTAs may take courses on an audit basis. The FLTA Program is a non-degree program. Offering credit for coursework taken by an FLTA is at the discretion of the host institution.
  • Host institutions must arrange appropriate duties for the FLTA. FLTAs may:
    • Work up to 20 hours per week
    • Serve as the instructor of a language course or serve in a more traditional assistant role. If they will serve as the primary instructor for a language course, at least one hour per week should be scheduled with the supervisor/mentor for planning and to review performance and address any concerns. FLTAs must serve as instructors for the language in which they received their Fulbright grant. For example, Arabic language FLTAs who may be fluent in French cannot teach a French language course. FLTAs cannot teach other courses (history, business, political science, international relations). They may guest lecture in these courses but their primary role must be the instruction of the language. Please describe the duties and expectations you have for your FLTA in as much detail as possible on the application form.

Also considered when evaluating potential host sites

  • Innovative programs
  • Supportive administrators and supervisors willing to mentor an FLTA and be flexible
  • Geographic diversity
  • Colleges and universities in communities where access to native speakers is limited
  • Schools that serve minority populations
  • Campus facilities
  • International student support
  • Schools interested in hosting FLTAs in the less commonly taught languages
  • Offered cost-share

Who can host?

Host Institutions come in all shapes and sizes and represent the diversity of American education. Host institutions include:

  • Small or large, private or public undergraduate colleges
  • Small or large, private or public graduate universities
  • Community Colleges
  • Minority Serving Institutions

Please note the following special restrictions:

  • Fulbright FLTAs are funded for one academic year. There are no renewals permitted for individual FLTAs.
  • Fulbright FLTAs are sponsored as J-1 non-degree students. Sponsorship cannot be transferred to host institutions when their Fulbright grant is complete. We request that host institutions honor this program requirement and not offer FLTAs an additional year as an assistant. We make every effort to ensure that qualified host institutions receive a new FLTA each year.

For more inquiries about the program, email

Benefits & Applying

Schools wishing to host FLTAs are free to tailor the program to meet their unique pedagogical needs. FLTAs often teach beginning and intermediate classes or offer tutorial sessions to improve students’ language acquisition. On many campuses they serve as directors of language houses or language floors, offering students uncommon access to target languages. Under visa regulations, FLTAs can work up to 20 hours per week.
FLTAs add a youthful, up-to-date cultural component to foreign language classes, as well as unique contributions to student life on campus. FLTAs host language tables, cooking sessions, cultural presentations and other co-curricular events, allowing U.S. students to work with young native speakers in non-traditional settings. This interaction makes studying a foreign language more meaningful and real.

Institutions interested in applying to host FLTAs are encouraged to watch the following webinar:

Fulbright FLTA Program: Host Institution Application

Fulbright FLTAs are selected by U.S. Embassies, Fulbright Commissions and Bi-National Centers in their home countries.

What you can expect from IIE:

Our professional staff stands ready to serve host institutions in several ways, we will:

  • Match FLTAs according to host institution needs and preferences
  • Respond to host institution queries in a timely and professional manner
  • Handle all visa sponsorship issues and monitor FLTA records in SEVIS
  • Monitor FLTA performance in collaboration with the host institution and intervene, when necessary
  • Provide orientation and enrichment programs for FLTAs to ease transition and improve performance
  • Provide ongoing support and advice

It is hoped that host institutions will re-apply each year and receive an FLTA in the same language(s) for which they hosted the previous year.  However, IIE's ability to meet host institution requests each year is impacted by candidate availability and funding levels.

FLTA Program Funding

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) provides all Fulbright FLTA grant recipients with Fulbright enrichment activities and a health benefit plan.

U.S. Host Institution Financial Support

All colleges and universities requesting a Fulbright FLTA must provide tuition and fees waiver(s) for two courses per semester or (one per quarter). When possible, maximum financial support (i.e. a combination of the suggested awards below) should be included in applications.

Please note that for Community Colleges applying to host, the Fulbright program will not exclude institutions requesting financial support (stipends, housing costs, etc.) in traditional languages. Therefore with Community Colleges only, the program would be able to offer in-country financial support regardless of language.

Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) and LCTL Northern Europe

IIE does not exclude institutions requesting assistance in a less commonly taught language based on potential financial support. For institutions able to offer financial support, recommended awards include:

  • An in-kind contribution of free housing or meal plan, OR
  • $500 - $600 per month to be used towards housing, food and other costs

Please note: Clarification on budgetary constraints can be included in applications to host

Traditional Languages

Host institutions requesting assistance for traditional languages should also include an award for the FLTA’s program expenses. Acceptable awards include:

  • A financial award great enough to cover room, board and daily living expenses or

  • Free room and board and a monthly stipend between $500-$600

Institutions interested in traditional languages, but unable to provide the required financial support should contact to discuss their constraints.