Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassy in your home country.

Current U.S. Student

If you are a U.S. citizen currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, please visit our Fulbright U.S. Student Program site.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.

U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through

Non-U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award in the United States you need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.

Help Your FLTA Navigate Common Issues

Culture Shock and Depression

Being away from family and friends is difficult and culture shock is real. Check in with your FLTA regularly and look out for signs of depression, illness, or other issues that could impact their participation in the FLTA Program. If you notice an issue, don’t be afraid to ask how they are feeling or to encourage them to visit the counseling center or other resources. Reassure them that seeking counseling is normal in the US and does not carry the stigma that it might in their home country. Identifying and addressing issues early could be the difference between a successful year and returning home early.

Other Common Issues

  • If you notice academic, medical, psychological, or other issues that could impact the FLTA’s program:

    • Connect the FLTA to the appropriate resource such as counseling, tutoring, etc.

    • Inform the appropriate IIE advisor.

    • If your FLTA feels lonely or isolated, help them connect to the on- and off-campus community. Encourage them to join campus clubs, volunteer, connect with the international student organization, and join local community groups.

  • Housing is a frequent concern for FLTAs.

    • The source of the concern often stems from roommate issues. If these arise, encourage the FLTAs to have an open, solutions-oriented conversation about the issues and to draft, sign, and post a “rules of the house” document. If issues persist, contact your institution’s ombudsman or residential life office for mediation assistance.

    • If your FLTA cannot locate housing, suggest useful websites, safe but economical neighborhoods, known landlords and housing agencies, and that they consider living with roommates.

  • Meal plans are another common concern for FLTAs. If your FLTA is dissatisfied with the meal plan, try the following:

    • If your institution permits FLTAs to waive the meal plan, contact the appropriate IIE advisor for guidance on whether amending the Terms of Appointment to provide the FLTA with funds for groceries is an option.

    • If your institution does not permit waiving the meal plan, ask the FLTA to work with the campus dining office to identify solutions that meet the FLTA’s dietary needs.

  • FLTAs in rural campuses may have difficulty getting around. Suggest ride sharing tips, educate them on how to use public and campus transportation, and suggest that they consider cycling if safe to do so.

  • FLTAs may feel that their role is on campus undefined or different than they expected. It’s true: they are not quite faculty and not quite students. If possible, include the FLTA in faculty meetings, introduce them to colleagues in the department, and work with them to identify a scope and type of work that meets both your needs. Do your best to treat them like colleagues, and encourage others to do so as well.