Post-Completion Academic Training
This section describes how to apply for Post-Completion Academic Training, and provides answers to frequently asked questions. Before you consider applying, please note that Academic Training:
Must begin within 30 days of your program completion, according to J-1 visa regulations
- May be either paid or unpaid
- Must involve employment directly related to the major field of study listed on your SEVIS Form DS-2019
- Must fall within the Fulbright policy guidelines of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program generally and of your home country in particular
The field-of-study and Fulbright-policy restrictions are important to bear in mind. Applications for Academic Training receive careful scrutiny and are not granted automatically.
If you have not yet done so, you must consult with your IIE Regional Center to determine if you are eligible to participate in such employment prior to submitting the documentation listed below and prior to accepting or beginning such employment.
Western Hemisphere grantees are not allowed to
pursue Academic Training at the following international organizations:
PAHO, IDB, IMF, OAS,
World Bank, UN, and all G4 visa granting organizations.
Applying for Academic Training
Completed Academic Training Forms and support documents must be submitted to your IIE Regional Contact at least four to six weeks prior to the completion of your approved academic program.
IIE cannot consider your Academic Training request without the following completed and signed documentation:
- Academic Training Request
- Confirmation of Offer of Academic Training Form to be completed in full by your potential academic training employer.
- A personal statement, including a description of the proposed academic training program which must:
- Develop skills that prepare you for your home country job market;
- Directly relate to your field of study;
- Encourage the Fulbright goal of building human networks around the globe by honoring and contributing to your commitment to develop your field of study at home;
- A current official transcript.
- If you are on leave of absence from employment in your home country, you must submit a letter demonstrating that your leave has been extended for the period of extension requested.
- If you have J-2 dependents with you in the United States, please complete the J-2 Dependent Data Sheet and submit it with required financial support documentation.
In addition, you should confirm with IIE that there are no other additional country-specific requirements that must be met.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can my Academic Training last?
Academic training is limited under federal regulations and may not exceed the amount of time spent in academic studies, up to a maximum of 18 months. These regulations require that training commence within 30 days following completion of your approved study program. Fulbright Program policy and circumstances of your individual case may further limit time spent in academic training. For example, overall Fulbright policy limits a grantee's stay to a maximum of three years for a Master's candidate and five years for a Ph.D. candidate, including time spent in academic training. If you have not yet done so, please discuss this with your IIE Regional Contact.
Does my Academic Training have to be full time?Does my Academic Training have to be paid?
Academic Training must be full time, which is considered to be at least 32 hours per week.
Academic training does not have to be paid, but you will need to submit financial documentation, such as a bank statement, to verify that you will have sufficient funding to support yourself and any dependents.
Can I apply for Academic Training before I have obtained an employment offer?
Federal Regulations require that you secure an academic training position, present it to your sponsor, and receive approval for such training prior to the end of your approved academic program. To enable IIE and your sponsor to consider approval of your request for academic training, you must submit the required documentation as soon as possible and no later than four to six weeks prior to the expiration of your approved academic program. Applications received after that time may not be reviewed.
Can I change my academic training position?
Changes are strongly discouraged and rarely approved. Any proposed change can only be considered on an exceptional basis, and requests must be submitted at least four weeks prior to the proposed change.
Are all Fulbright grantees eligible to participate in academic training?
No, it depends on your category and the policy of your country/grant. If you aren’t sure of your eligibility you should consult with your IIE Regional Contact.