I am a....

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassy in your home country.

Current U.S. Student

If you are a U.S. citizen currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, please visit our Fulbright U.S. Student Program site.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.

Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA)


The Fulbright FLTA Program is sponsored by the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). As part of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, the Fulbright FLTA Program is designed to develop Americans' knowledge of foreign cultures and languages by supporting teaching assistantships in over 30 languages at hundreds of U.S. institutions of higher education. The program offers educators from over 50 countries the opportunity to develop their professional skills and gain first-hand knowledge of the U.S., its culture and its people.

U.S. campuses enhance their teaching of languages and expose students to a true understanding of people of different nations. Like the more than 1,800 Foreign Fulbright Fellows that enter U.S. academic programs each year, Fulbright FLTAs apply to the program through the Fulbright Commission/Foundation or U.S. Embassy in their home countries. The Institute of International Education (IIE) arranges academic placement for most Fulbright FLTA nominees and supervise participants during their stay in the United States.

If you are a non-U.S. college graduate or young teacher interested in applying to become a Fulbright FLTA, visit Requirements and Eligibility for application information.

U.S. universities, four-year colleges and community colleges interested in hosting a Fulbright FLTA can visit the Become a Host Institution section for more information.


FLTA Program Summary & Design
The Role of the U.S. Host Institutions

U.S. host institutions devise the FLTAs’ assistanceships in the United States. The needs of each host institution differ. Thus, each FLTA's program is tailored to the needs of the institution and qualifications of the selected TA. In general, however, the host institution appoints a Supervisor who:

  • tailors the FLTA's program to meet the department's unique needs.

  • acts as a mentor to the FLTA.

  • assists the FLTA to adjust to the U.S. and to solve any issues/problems that may arise.

  • serves as IIE's main contact.

Please download a copy of the Fulbright FLTA program brochure.


The FLTA's Program
  • Will be up to 20 hours per week in various educational activities designated by the Supervisor.

  • Will include the opportunity to take two courses per semester on an audit or credit basis, that is beneficial to their teaching career, as determined in consultation with the Supervisor.

    • One course taken during the year must be in U.S. studies.


The Role of the FLTA

FLTAs spend one academic year at a U.S. college or university. They:

  • provide a youthful, up-to-date component to foreign language classes.

  • enhance the teaching by U.S. professors or teach under their supervision.

  • make studying foreign languages in the United States more meaningful and real.

  • share their culture and values outside of the classroom by joining clubs and becoming involved in the community.

  • engage in academic study that will enrich their postgraduate studies and enhance their professional development.

  • return home with a high proficiency in English.

  • can speak first-hand about the United States, its culture and its people.



FLTA Program by Country and Language

Additional languages and participating countries are added regularly. Language categories are determined by funding structure.


Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL)

Arabic Kazakh Tagalog
Bengali Kiswahili Tajik
Burmese Korean Tartar
Chinese Kyrgyz Thai
Dari Malay Turkish
Gujarati Mongolian Uzbek
Hausa Pashtu Vietnamese
Hindi/Urdu Persian Yoruba
Indonesian Portuguese Zulu
Japanese Punjabi  
Javanese Russian  


LCTL- Northern Europe



Traditional Languages







Middle East & North Africa



Kenya Algeria Oman Afghanistan Mongolia
Mali Bahrain Palestinian Territories Bangladesh Pakistan
Nigeria Egypt Qatar Burma Philippines
South Africa Iraq Saudi Arabia China South Korea
Tanzania Israel Syria India Tajikistan
  Jordan Tunisia Indonesia Thailand
  Kuwait Turkey Kazakhstan Uzbekistan
  Lebanon United Arab Emirates Malaysia Vietnam
  Libya Yemen    



Western Hemisphere

Belgium Argentina
Finland Brazil
France Canada
Germany Chile
Ireland Colombia
Italy Mexico
FLTA Program Funding

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) provides all Fulbright FLTA grant recipients with Fulbright enrichment activities and a health benefit plan.

U.S. Host Institution Cost-Share

All colleges and universities requesting a Fulbright FLTA must provide tuition and fees waiver(s) for two courses per semester or (one per quarter). When possible, maximum cost-share (i.e. a combination of the suggested awards below) should be included in applications.

Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) and LCTL Northern Europe

IIE actively seeks cost-share awards from host institutions requesting assistance in a less commonly taught language. Recommended awards include:

  • An in-kind contribution of free housing or meal plan, or

  • $400 - $600 per month to be used towards housing, food and other costs

Please note: IIE does not exclude institutions interested in LCTLs based on potential cost-share. Clarification on budgetary constraints can be included in applications to host.

Traditional Languages

Host institutions requesting assistance for traditional languages should also include an award for the FLTA’s program expenses. Acceptable awards include:

  • A financial award great enough to cover room, board and daily living expenses or

  • Free room and board and a monthly stipend between $400-$600

Institutions interested in traditional languages, but unable to provide the required cost-share should contact [email protected] to discuss their constraints.